Saturday, August 29, 2009

We had a good night.

I slept on the couch last night - Murphy was comfy on his living room cushion and I decided not to disturb him.

The vet wanted me to keep him crated whenever he was unsupervised, at least for the first few days, so I duly brought in the crate and set it up in the living room. You can see how that turned out:

But it didn't matter; Murphy stayed quiet and slept all night - except for getting up at some point to have an Incident. I'm glad the vet tech warned me about the diarrhea - because he had an attack near the back door, on the tile, in the middle of the night. I woke to, um, something you really don't want to face at 5 a.m. before coffee. Hard to believe all of that came out of someone so small, but at least he did it on the tile floor and not the carpet. I'm hoping that phase doesn't last too long!

He hasn't messed with the "zipper" at all, but I think I will use the inflatable collar on him if I leave him for a few hours.

He's doing wonderfully - sleeping a lot, but his appetite is great, and now when I say, "Want to go for a walk?" he scampers to the door, raring to go. Not like last week. He still can't walk very far, and he's happy to come in and resume his nap on his cushion, but his enthusiasm has returned.

But we are fighting about the antibiotic. It's a liquid, and apparently it is very yucky. I have to sneak up on, capture, and then wrestle with my little patient to get it into him - fortunately he only has to have it twice a day. He clenches his little jaw and tries to pull away, while I try to get the stuff into his mouth and not all over the hair on his face - it's comical.

I took a picture of his little wounded belly, but I'll put it down the page a bit, so if you don't want to see, you can avert your eyes now and click away.


Amie said...

This is wonderful to hear!

Have you tried sitting on him? It's the method I use for pilling the cats, because it prevents extra movement. You sit on your knees on the floor, with your feet TOGETHER underneath you. Animal goes in between your knees, facing forward. Then it's pretty easy to pop the meds in, because they can't move, but it's gentle enough that they don't struggle much. Might work for liquids, too.

caroline said...

soooooo glad he's doing so well.

Anonymous said...

If Murphy clenches his jaws with the meds, just put the dropper/syringe along the jaw line by the gap for the very rear teeth and put the medication there. That is what I have to do with my cat. The between the knees method described above also works but given Murphy's surgery I'd be careful.

Glad he is resting -- he looks good so does the surgical site. Hope you both get some rest this weekend.

nurseknitsalot said...

I'm glad he's doing well...what a good little patient!!

Catherine said...

Kneel on the floor, with small dog butt clamped gently between knees so he can't back away, tilt his head back, and try to get the syringe in between his fiercely clenched teeth, or, barring that, along the gumline. But a dog's face is not shaped like a cat's, and he can let it dribble out the side if I don't get it far enough back - and of course he is resisting the entire process and has a hairy little face. We do it, and it's not that hard, but I'm wishing his meds were in pill form and I could just pop them in a chunk of his favorite cheese.

Anonymous said...

Happy to see Murphy is doing so well--could it be cause he's home & getting such tender loving care.

KatyaR said...

Glad to see the Murphster resting comfortably. Sounds like he's well on his way to recovery.

Here's a thought, but I have no idea if this would work or not--could you mix the medicine in a little yogurt? I don't know if the yogurt would be bad for the antibiotic, but it would sure be easier.

Hugs to you both--I hope you can have a restful weekend.

Teresa said...

So glad to hear about the enthusiasm returning. That sounds like our boy! Keep up the healing, sweet little guy! You're doing a great job, Mom!


Anonymous said...

yippee!! you both survived!! :) I am so happy to hear that your little guy is getting better... Elizabeth

k said...

I'm sorry. I think I had to avoid your blog until this was resolved. I'm so glad it's come out so well.

Anonymous said...

Good for you, Murphy! And at times like this 'incidents' are just that.

I think using the collar when he is unsupervised is an excellent idea. No knowing exactly when the 'healing itchies' will strike.

My vet has an antibiotic semi-paste that comes in it's own syringe. Dosage is controlled by breaking off little tabs on the plunger. Great stuff.

Take care of yourselves,

Gae, in Callala Bay