but I have a backup plan. For those in other parts of the world, a huge and messy winter storm is pushing through most of the country (we'll even feel the effects down here) and the Wednesday Road to Asheville is not looking too pretty. Actually, it's looking quite alarming. Best case: heavy holiday traffic in freezing rain. Worst: heavy holiday traffic in sleet and snow. What is a fairly easy 9 hours on the interstate in the best of conditions could easily become 12 hours.
I fretted about this for hours today, until I stepped back to think. Thursday's forecast is supposed to be lovely all the way - bright and clear and cool-to-cold. So, who says I have to drive up Wednesday? Why can't I drop Murphy at the vet on Wednesday afternoon, bake a loaf or two of chocolate pumpkin goodness, chill out and go to bed early, and get on the road very early Thursday? I could easily get there by 4 in the afternoon with a fraction of the stress! Thanksgiving is only one day of the weekend of festivities that will be ThanksHanukkristmas, and I can still be there at a decent hour.
The more I think about it, the more I wonder why I ever wanted to drive up the day before, in traffic and stress! Never mind the weather, this is a better plan.