Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Finally Catching Up

on this and that, and Dogs.

After three weekends in a row of par-tay, I stayed home last weekend, and did responsible things, like  clean the house and take Sophie to the vet for her distemper shot, rabies tag, and checkup.

She's fine. She was pronounced healthy and adorable, no issues at all. She's terrified of the vet still, but sooo well behaved, and when they are done messing with her, she gives the vet tech a kiss on the nose.   They love her there, and whenever she goes into "the back" for her "procedures" it takes much longer than strictly necessary. She has to take the tour and be fussed over by the entire staff.  They are determined to get her over her stiff-legged panic when she is carried into the office.  It's truly comical, and not hard to deal with in a 13 lb. dog, but I can't imagine dealing with a big dog who acted like her.

 She's put on a little weight over the summer.  Florida is the opposite of most normal places; we gain weight hiding in the A/C from the brutal sun and humidity, and emerge from what my father called the "iron lung" (air conditioning) in late fall.  We are just now getting to comfortable walking weather, and she'll lose her extra ounces, now that the heat and humidity aren't life-threatening to a small dog with a smooshy face.

Murphy hasn't been to the vet in months, because, well, he's comfortable. If he's not, I'll take him in and do whatever we can to make him comfortable again, but at this stage, he's just quietly, comfortably fading away. It's so gradual I don't really think about it, but if I step back, I can see it.  He's sleeping almost all the time, and dead to the world when he's asleep.

This morning Sophie woke me up before the alarm (which already goes off at 5 a.m., so WTF). She never does this, and obviously, really had to pee.  I tried to persuade her to settle down, she was having none of it, and was hopping around on the bed. Murphy, sleeping two feet away, didn't notice the motion and didn't stir.  Didn't even twitch in his sleep.  I turned on the light. I spoke to him, I called his name. Nothing. I saw he was breathing, so I wasn't freaked out, but he's an old, deaf dog, and when he's asleep, he's very deeply asleep.  I touched him gently, and he jumped a bit, then looked around, confused. He did perk up, walk, eat a few bites of breakfast, and...went straight back to bed.

I know he's deaf as a post, I can't tell how much he can see, but I think he's still seeing through the cataracts, but he used to be aware of motion, and would wake up when someone stirred and moved the bed. Lately I have to touch him to get his attention.  But he seems to be feeling fine otherwise, and I've been softening his food with warm chicken broth, so he's lapping up nutrients, usually with enthusiasm.  And of course, as I'm typing this, he walked into the room, looking quite alert and cheerful.  He'll tell me when he's had enough, but right now, when he's awake, he's happy, perky, and enjoying life.  He's just awake a little less each week.

Work is good. I'm feeling more connected every day, and while it's still another round of creating systems where there were none, with a lot of hunting for missing information and a lot of confusion, it's getting better.  This is all the perfectly normal transition of joining a new land team in a busy company. It will take a couple more months to get truly up to speed, and I love the guys I work with.  Diverse personalities that balance each other nicely, and all very open and cooperative and wanting to make it work smoothly.  It's a good team.

That's enough for now. My neglected little Sophie girl needs some couch time with Mommy, and I need to crank out another few rows on the sleeve of Supergirl's sweater.  That saga deserves a post of its own.


Anonymous said...

I know exactly what you mean about Murphy, Catherine.
Ace has reached a stage where, when he is so very deeply asleep (dead to the world is a good description) he occasionally has 'bedwetting' incidents. This from a dog who has always been an immaculately clean and polite gentleman.
Not problem if he is on his 'daybed', but he sleeps with us at night............. Oh well, if that is the worst thing he does.....
He is now on stilboestrol for the problem, and it seems to be (mostly) working.
One day at a time.

Gae, in Callala Bay1985

ellen kirkendall said...

I'm right there with my old dog too - Roxy is (at Least) 15 and spends most of every day asleep. She is interested in food and walks still although her eyesight and hearing are nearly gone. The scariest thing with an elderly dog with a thick coat is that sometimes when I touch her to wake her up she feels cold and I think she is gone. All the heat stays near her skin.